UK Working Visa – FAQ on the UK Skilled Worker Visa

If you are looking for a UK Working Visa, the Skilled Worker visa might be your answer. The UK Skilled Worker visa is the most popular UK working visa. It allows workers from overseas to live and work in the UK with sponsorship from a UK employer. Your visa is thus linked to your UK employer.

You can read more about How to Qualify for the Skilled Worker visa on our website.

Below we have compiled a guide on some of the most Frequently Asked Questions from our prospective Skilled Worker visa clients.

Securing Employment in the UK as a Skilled Worker

Do I need to get a job in the UK to apply for the UK Skilled Worker Visa?

Yes. To apply for a UK Skilled Worker Visa, you first need to secure employment in one of the eligible occupations with a registered UK sponsor. The word ‘sponsor’ does not refer to ‘financial sponsorship’ and simply refers to the UK employer.

The UK sponsor will provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). This CoS will enable you to apply for the Skilled Worker visa.

Note that Breytenbachs can assist UK employers in becoming registered UK sponsors, enabling them to employ overseas workers.

Can Breytenbachs assist me with finding sponsored employment?

Breytenbachs do not assist in finding employment for your UK working visa. We specialise in the UK Visa and Immigration processes. We can assist both the employee and the employer in the Skilled Worker visa process.

However, before you embark on job hunting, we strongly recommend that persons interested in the Skilled Worker visa set up a formal consultation with one of our immigration consultants. They will advise you on how to find employment that will qualify for a Skilled Worker visa and the visa process. This is an important part of the journey to secure your Skilled Worker visa, as not all positions will qualify for the visa.

Length of Stay in the UK with a Working Visa

How long can I work in the UK with a Skilled Worker Visa?

The Skilled Worker Visa is normally issued in line with the sponsorship that the UK employer offers to you. The sponsorship can be up to five years.

After five years, a person should be able to qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain. As soon as you have the status of Indefinite Leave to Remain, you can work without any work restrictions. This means you can work for any employer, be self-employed or combine the two. You will also be able to work at any level and in any profession.

After one year with the status of Indefinite Leave to Remain, you should be able to qualify for British citizenship. However, holders of Skilled Worker Visas must fulfil very specific requirements regarding the minimum salary threshold when applying for ILR. Please speak to your Breytenbachs consultant to plan your route to ILR and British citizenship.

Supplementary Income

Will I be able to supplement my income while on the UK Skilled Worker Visa?

Breytenbachs have compiled a comprehensive article with all the rules on supplementary, voluntary and additional work for persons holding a Skilled Worker visa.

You can read the full article at this link.

Working Visa for Guernsey

Do the same rules apply if I want to apply for a Working Visa for Guernsey instead of the UK?

 Yes, except for a few differences. You still need to first secure employment in one of the eligible occupations with an eligible employer. However, you will not be required to pay the National Health Surcharge. Also, instead of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship from the UK employer, your employer needs to apply for an Employment Permit from the Population Management Department and a Work Permit from the Immigration Department. These permits must be submitted with the entry clearance (Skilled Worker Visa) application.

Your Breytenbachs consultant will be able to assist with the Guernsey Skilled Worker Visa.

You can also read more about Guernsey as an alternative to UK Immigration at this link.

How Breytenbachs can help you

If you are looking to apply for a Working Visa for the UK, Breytenbachs can assist you. We have a dedicated team of consultants dealing with UK Working Visas and sponsorship licensing! Contact us today to arrange a consultation or to find out more.


Please note that the information in this article does not constitute professional advice. It is provided for general information purposes without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Please contact us today for further information or applications.

Related Posts