Short Term Study Visa


The Short-term Study visa only allows an applicant to study the English language in the UK. The English course may also only be for six months to eleven months.

If your course is longer than this, or you are looking to study something other than the English language, we recommend you speak to a Breytenbachs consultant. We will recommend the most suitable study visa for your circumstances.

Table of contents

How to qualify for the Short-Term Study Visa

Applicants must be 16 years or older to apply for the visa. If you are under 18 years old, you will also have to show that you have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK. You will also have to show that you have the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK.

You must show that you have been accepted on an English language course, with no other subjects included in the course. The course may only be between six months to eleven months long.

The institution providing the course must be accredited. Alternatively, it must be an eligible overseas provider. We highly recommend that you speak with one of our consultants to ensure that your institution/provider has the necessary accreditation.

Length of Stay

It is possible to stay in the UK for the length of your English course plus an extra 30 days. However, your total stay may not be longer than 11 months.

You cannot extend your visa or switch to another visa from within the UK.

Family Members

You cannot bring any family members on the Short-term Study visa.

Conditions of your Stay

The conditions of stay on a Short-term Study visa are very strict. You will not be allowed to do anything of the following things:

  • Study on any other course or change your course from within the UK;
  • You cannot study at a state-funded school;
  • You will not be allowed to do any work, whether paid, unpaid, work experience or a work placement.
  • There is no access to state benefits or State Pension on this visa.

Immigration Health Surcharge

The Immigration Health Surcharge is payable as part of your visa application.

How Breytenbachs can help you

We have a dedicated team of consultants specialising in the UK Student Visa routes. Breytenbachs will recommend the most suitable visa for your study course and guide you through the process. If you want to study in the UK, please contact one of our consultants.

Short Term Study Visa

Please contact us today for further information or applications.