Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

The Youth Mobility Scheme offers a wonderful opportunity for young people from participating countries to live and work in the UK for up to two years.

How to qualify for the Youth Mobility Scheme

You can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme Visa if you are from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Iceland, Monaco, New Zealand or San Marino. In order to apply, you must be selected in the Youth Mobility Scheme ballot, and only if you are from one of the following countries: Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea or Taiwan. You can also apply if you are a British overseas citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or an overseas British national. Applicants have to be between the ages of 18 and 30, inclusive. You will have to prove that you have savings available in the amount of £2,530. This amount must be available for 28 days in a row before you apply. Unfortunately, you will not be able to apply if you have children under the age of 18 years old who live with you. Neither can you apply if you are financially responsible for any children. You cannot apply if you have already been in the UK under the Youth Mobility Scheme.

Right to Work

The Youth Mobility Scheme allows you to work in most jobs. Visa holders will even be allowed to be self-employed and set up a company. However, if you work in self-employment, you have to rent the premises, and the equipment you use cannot be worth more than £5,000. You are not allowed to have any employees. Visa holders can study while on the scheme, but for some study courses, you will need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate. Visa holders cannot work as professional sportspersons or coaches. There is no access to public funds. Unfortunately, no family members will be able to accompany you on the Youth Mobility Scheme. Family members have to apply for a visa in their own right.

Length of Stay

The Youth Mobility Scheme visa is valid for up to 24 months. It is not possible to extend your visa. You will be allowed to leave and enter at any time during your stay, whilst the visa is valid.

Immigration Health Surcharge

You have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your application.

Indefinite Leave to Remain

As it is a temporary visa, it does not lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. The visa does, however, provide a valuable opportunity for young people to experience life in the UK!

How Breytenbachs can help you

If you want to apply for the UK Youth Mobility Scheme, please contact one of our consultants to guide you through the process. We have a dedicated team of consultants who will be happy to assist!