Domestic Worker Visa

If you are a domestic worker, you can apply to get a visa to accompany your employer to the UK. Breytenbachs get many queries from clients asking whether their domestic worker or nanny can accompany them to the UK. Fortunately, the UK immigration law allows domestic workers, nannies, cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks and anyone providing personal care to the employer and their family to come to the UK. It is, however, only a short-term visa valid for up to a maximum of six months. The visa also allows the ‘domestic worker’ to stay in the UK while the employer takes short trips abroad. Alternatively, the worker can travel abroad with the employer and return to the UK to complete the stay.

Who qualifies as a ‘domestic worker’?

The domestic worker in the Domestic Worker in a Private Household visa includes the following:

  • Nannies,
  • Cleaners,
  • Chauffeurs,
  • Cooks, and
  • Any person providing personal care to the employer and his/her family.

How to qualify for the Domestic Worker Visa

The employee has to fulfil the following criteria:

  • Be at least 19 years old.
  • Have to be a ‘domestic worker’ in a private household.
  • You must have worked for the employer for at least one year.
  • You must work in the same household as your employer or a household that they use regularly.
  • Must be able to support yourself in the UK.
  • You have to get paid at least the UK national minimum wage. You can check the minimum wage rates for the UK at this link.

The employer of the domestic worker must be:

  • A non-UK citizen coming to the UK for a visit, and do not intend to stay longer than six months; OR
  • A British citizen who normally lives outside the UK who does not intend to stay in the UK for longer than six months.

Length of Stay on the Domestic Worker Visa

The length of stay on this visa is only up to six months. When your employer leaves the UK, you also have to leave, or at the end of the six months, whichever period is sooner. It is possible to extend this visa. However, the total time spent on the visa cannot be more than the maximum of six months.

Indefinite Leave to Remain

As this is a temporary visa, it does not lead to Indefinite Leave Remain. However, different rules apply for domestic workers who applied under the old rules for entry on or before April 2012. Please speak to your Breytenbachs consultant for more advice if this applies to you.

How Breytenbachs can help you

Breytenbachs has a team of highly experienced consultants who will assist with the Domestic Worker in a private household visa. It is possible to apply for a super-priority service for this type of visa if you need a faster decision. Please speak to a Breytenbachs consultant for assistance and more information.

Domestic Worker Visa

Please contact us today for further information or applications.