UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

If a UK-based organisation or client invites you to the UK for a paid engagement as an expert in your profession, you may apply to visit the UK for a Permitted Paid Engagement.

This visa will allow you to come to the UK for up to one month.

Breytenbachs strongly advise that non-visa nationals who do not normally need a visa to travel to the UK to apply for the visa if they have previously been refused entry to the UK or have a criminal record.

Table of contents

Who can apply for the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

UK-based organisations or clients can invite the following persons to come to the UK on the Permitted Paid Engagement Visa:

  • Professional artists, musicians or entertainers. The category of artists is very broad and can be anyone working in the performing or creative arts, including; poets, make-up artists, stylists, set designers, photographers and models.
  • Professional sportspersons
  • Qualified lawyers representing a client
  • Persons who give a lecture or a series of lectures
  • Academics to be a student examiner or assessor
  • Air pilot examiners

How to qualify for the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

You have to fulfil a range of criteria to qualify:

  • You are 18 years or older
  • A UK-based organisation or client have to formally invite you to attend a pre-arranged event or other permitted engagement. The invitation letter can be from any one of the following:
    • An organisation in the creative arts or entertainment industry;
    • Sports organisation, agent or broadcaster;
    • Higher education institutions;
    • Research organisation;
    • Aviation training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
    • In the case of lawyers, by the client.
  • The engagement or event must relate directly to your expertise, qualifications and overseas job.
  • You have to fulfil a maintenance requirement to show that you can support yourself during the trip or have sponsorship to support you.
  • You can pay for your return or onward journey or have the funding.

What is not allowed under the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

  • The person cannot do paid work related to their main overseas job or area of expertise
  • You cannot study in the UK
  • Live in the UK for extended periods
  • There is no recourse to public funds
  • Marry or register a civil partnership or give notice to do so.
  • You cannot bring any family members with you. They must apply for a Standard Visitor visa if they want to accompany you.

Extending your stay in the UK

The Permitted Paid Engagement visa is only valid for one month. You cannot extend your stay in the UK. If you want to explore other options to work in the UK for longer, please get in touch with your Breytenbachs consultant.

How Breytenbachs can help you

Very specific criteria need to be fulfilled to qualify for the Permitted Paid Engagement visa. You also have to prove your expertise in a very specific manner. We therefore strongly advise UK-based organisations or clients that want to invite overseas persons to the UK via the Permitted Paid Engagement route to get in touch with Breytenbachs.

Please see the links below to other types of short stay visitor visas to the UK:

UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

Please contact us today for further information or applications.