Parent of Child Student


The Parent of a Child Student visa allows one parent of a child student to join or accompany their child to the UK. For the parent to qualify to apply, the child must already have a Child Student visa or be in the process of applying for the Child Student visa.

Table of contents

How to qualify for the Parent of a Child Student Visa

The applicant must be the only parent accompanying the child in the UK. The other parent must live abroad and cannot apply to join you in the UK. Your other children may only accompany you if they also apply for a Child Student visa. No other family members are allowed to accompany you.

You have to fulfil the maintenance requirement, and must still be in the position to maintain your main home outside the UK.

At the end of the visa, you must leave the UK and plan to do so from the start.

Length of Stay in the UK

The Parent of a Child Student visa will be valid until your child’s visa expires or when they turn 12 years of age, whichever is first.

If you need to leave the UK when your visa expires and your child is still in education in the UK, you have to make arrangements for ongoing care. The Home Office suggest, for instance, that a child who turns 12 and still has a valid visa may be able to start boarding at their school or live with other family members in the UK.

Conditions of your Stay

The conditions of stay are quite strict, and you will not be allowed to do any of the following:

  • Take up paid employment
  • Study
  • Start a business
  • Apply for benefits or a State Pension

You will also not be allowed to make the UK your main home or switch to another visa from within the UK.

Extending your Stay

It is possible to extend the Parent of a Child Student visa until your child’s student visa expires or they turn 12 years old, whichever happens first. It is important, however, to apply for your extension before your current visa expires.

Immigration Health Surcharge

The Immigration Health Surcharge is payable as part of your visa application. The amount payable is calculated for the duration of the visa you are applying for.

How Breytenbachs can help you

We have a dedicated team of consultants specialising in the UK Student Visa routes. If you are interested in letting your child study in the UK or wish to apply for the Parent of Child Student visa, please get in touch with one of our consultants. Breytenbachs will guide you through the process.

Parent of Child Student

Please contact us today for further information or applications.