UK Marriage Visitor Visa

The UK Marriage Visitor visa allows a person to come to the UK to get married, register a civil partnership in the UK, or give notice of a marriage or a civil partnership in the UK. You will not be allowed to stay or settle in the UK after the marriage or civil partnership.

Persons who want to convert a civil partnership into a marriage can apply for the Standard Visitor visa and do not need to apply for the Marriage Visitor visa.

Table of contents

How to qualify for the UK Marriage Visitor Visa

You have to prove the following to qualify for the Marriage Visitor visa;

  • You have to be 18 years or older.
  • You are free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within six months of your arrival. If you have been married before, you must show that you are free to marry or enter into a civil partnership by providing a decree absolute or a death certificate if your previous partner has died.
  • Your relationship is a genuine relationship.
  • That you will be in the UK for less than six months and that you will leave at the end of the six months.
  • Fulfil a maintenance requirement to show that you can support yourself during your trip.
  • You can pay for your return or onward journey.

Additional Supporting Documents for the UK Marriage Visitor Visa

It would be best if you could also supply the following documents to support your application:

  • Details of the planned marriage or civil partnership and proof that you have paid money for some of its costs.
  • Proof that you are planning to get married in the UK. This proof could be in the form of booking confirmations or communication between yourself and the licensed venue.

What you can do in the UK

If you are successful in your application, you will be able to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within six months of your arrival. You have to use a venue licensed for this purpose.

What you cannot do in the UK

  • There is no recourse to public funds.
  • You cannot bring any dependents. They have to apply for a visa in their own right.
  • You cannot live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits.
  • No work is allowed except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas.

Length of Stay on the UK Marriage Visitor Visa

You can apply at the earliest three months before you plan to travel to the UK. Your visa will then be valid from when a decision has been made.

You can stay in the UK for up to six months with the Marriage Visitor Visa.

Switching to another UK Visa or Permit

You cannot apply or switch to any other permit while on a Marriage Visitor visa. If you intend to move to the UK, you must return to your country of residence and apply for new entry clearance to the UK.

How Breytenbachs can help you obtain your UK Marriage Visitor Visa

Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants have a team of consultants specialising in Family and Visitor Visas, such as the Marriage Visitor Visa. Contact us today for more advice and support throughout your application process.

Please see the links below to other types of short stay visitor visas to the UK:

UK Marriage Visitor Visa

Please contact us today for further information or applications.