Currently, due to the Nationality and Borders Act that came into effect, there are various ways in which one can register as a British Citizen.
The most popular routes by which one can register as a British Citizen are as follows. If you were:
• Born in South Africa between the 31st of May 1962 and the 31st of December 1987, and you have a UK-born maternal grandfather or grandmother.
• Born in South Africa between the 31st of May 1962 and the 31st of December 1987 and you have a UK-born paternal grandmother.
• Your parents were married before 1949 and you have a UK-born paternal grandfather, and you were born in South Africa after 1948.
• Your mother was born in the United Kingdom, and you were born before 1983.
• Either one of your parents was registered as British Citizens. However, this also depends under which section they were registered and whether they obtained their citizenship by descent or other than by descent.
• You previously renounced your British Citizenship.
From the submission of your application, it takes 6 to 12 months to receive feedback from the UKVI pertaining to your matter.
If you are successful in your application, they will invite you to attend a citizenship ceremony. During the ceremony, you will take an oath of allegiance and a pledge. On the day of your citizenship ceremony, you will receive your registration certificate. This certificate will confirm that you are now a British Citizen.
If you are a South African citizen, it is very important that you retain your South African citizenship before you attend your citizenship ceremony.
After you have received your registration certificate as a British Citizen, you can apply for your British Passport.
How can Breytenbachs help you with your British Citizenship by Registration
Your Breytenbachs consultant will be able to assist in determining whether you qualify for British citizenship by registration. If so, we will be able to assist you with your application. Feel free to contact us. You are also welcome to make use of our free British citizenship questionnaire. This will help us determine whether you can qualify for British citizenship by Registration.
Please note that the information on this page does not constitute professional advice. It is provided for general information purposes without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Breytenbachs provide broad guidelines on who might qualify for British nationality under the new Borders and Nationality Act regulations. This does not mean everyone who fits within these broad guidelines will be eligible. We have to look at the circumstances of every individual case before we can advise.