How to Prove Your Right To Work or Right To Rent

Previously, migrants could use their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) to prove their right to work and rent in the UK. However, using the BRP to do so is no longer possible. Instead, migrants must get a share code to prove their right to work and rent.

Prove your Right To Work in the UK with a Share Code

UK employers have a legal obligation to check a job applicant’s right-to-work details before they employ them. Migrants can now get a share code to prove their right to work in the UK. This will include details on the type of job you may do and how long they will be able to work in the UK. To get a share code, you must have a Biometric Residence Permit number, a Biometric Residence Card number, a passport or national identity card.

Persons who want to use their BRP will first have to enter the UK to obtain the BRP.

Migrants can use this link to get their share code – Prove your right to work to an employer – GOV.UK (

The UKVI system will only update your right to live in the UK once you have your BRP card. You will need to use the reference nr on the BRP card to complete the right to rent and work checks.  It is only once the UKVI sees you have used your entry clearance visa and activated it that the system will update which is by way of having your BRP. 

Prove your Right To Rent in England

Migrants can get a share code to prove their right to rent in England. The share code will include information on how long the person can rent. It is possible to get a share code to prove your right to rent if you have a biometric residence card or permit, have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, or if you have applied for a visa using the UK Immigration: ID Check app to scan your ID on your phone.

You do not need to prove your right to rent in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Migrants can use the following link to get their share code – Prove your right to rent in England – GOV.UK (

How Breytenbachs can help you

If you want to apply for a UK visa or would like to discuss any UK immigration issue, email us at [email protected] Or visit the contact us page to arrange a consultation. You can also contact us for more information on your right to work or right to rent. We will be happy to assist!

Please note that the information in this article does not constitute professional advice. It is provided for general information purposes without any warranty, either expressed or implied.

Please contact us today for further information or applications.

Related Posts