MN1 Application – Registering a child as British Citizen

Immigration advisers refer to the application used to register a non-British child under 18 years old as the MN1 Application. The MN1 refers to the UK Government form used for this type of application.

To be successful in the MN1 application, the applicant must show that the child satisfies very specific requirements. The requirements are set out under the British Nationality Law.

How to qualify for an MN1 Application

In terms of Section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981, a minor child is entitled to be registered as a British Citizen if they meet the following requirements:

  • The child is under the age of 18 at the date of application;
  • The minor child was born outside the United Kingdom on or after the 1st of January 1983; 
  • One of the minor child’s parents:
    • Was a British Citizen by descent at the time of their birth; 
    • Became, but for their death, would have become a British Citizen otherwise than by descent on the 1st of January 1983; 
  • The parent in question has lived in the United Kingdom for a continuous period of 3 years; and
  • Such parent was not absent from the United Kingdom for more than 270 days in those three years. 

Successful MN1 Application

It is very important that the MN1 Application is submitted according to all guidelines. The applicant must also meet all requirements. Incorrect information or omissions can result in a refusal and the subsequent loss of the full application fee.

Therefore, applicants must use the services of a Breytenbachs consultant to avoid all possible pitfalls.

Length of Application Proces  

As soon as the MN1 Application is submitted, the application process normally takes about 3 to 6 months to process. 

Alternatives to the MN1 Application

All is not lost if a child does not qualify under the above route. There are many instances in which a minor child can be registered as a British Citizen. The above route is only one of many routes that currently exist. 

How Breytenbachs can help you

Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants have offices in London, Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria. If you want to apply for a UK visa or MN1 Application, please get in touch with us to assess your circumstances. We will advise accordingly. You can email us at [email protected] or visit Our consultants can assist with all UK immigration matters, visas, permits, including appeals and reviews.

Please contact us today for further information or applications.

Related Posts