Advice for South African Clients on Lost Passports and other Dilemmas

Lost and stolen passports can cause havoc. Breytenbachs often receive anxious cries for help from South African clients who are desperately looking for advice on passport issues.

People are often unsure how to approach the situation and even where to begin to resolve the situation. The consultants at Breytenbachs have provided some pointers should you ever land yourself in one of these unfortunate positions!

Stolen or Lost Passport

If your passport is lost or stolen in the UK, you will need to report it to your local police station. Once you have a case number, you can attend the SA High Commission, which will assist you in applying for a new passport. You may need copies of your current status in the UK.

Expired South African Passports

If your SA passport has expired, you have to apply at the South African High Commission for a new one. It can take 4 – 6 months to process a renewal of a South African passport.

When you collect your new passport, you must NOT submit your old passport to be destroyed. You will need your old passport to confirm visa statuses held for the UK and travel for any future applications made for the UK. The SA High Commission should only stamp your expired passport with a ‘Cancelled’ stamp.

Transfer of UK visas

If you receive a new SA passport, the SA High Commission will NOT transfer any existing visas to the new passport. Once you have your new passport, you will need to contact Breytenbachs so that we can assist you in processing a transfer of conditions.

Note that visas are no longer placed in your passport. You will need to undertake the biometric process in order to obtain a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card.

Passport Running out of Pages

If your passport has not expired yet but is running out of pages, it is not possible to just add pages! You will have to apply for a new passport.

SA Passport and Dual Nationality – South African and British

If you are a dual citizen, SA and British, and need to apply for a new SA passport, you will have to provide the SA High Commission with your letter of retention. If you have lost your letter of retention, you will need to request a copy. You can request one from the office which issued your original letter of retention. Without it, your application for a New SA passport will not be accepted.

How Breytenbachs can help you

Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants offer a professional, friendly and exemplary service. Let us put your mind at ease and ensure that your visa application process is smooth and efficient! You are also welcome to contact us for any lost passport, and other queries!

Please contact us today for further information or applications.

Related Posts