Creative and Sporting Visa T5

Creative and Sporting visa

The Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting visa (T5) is a temporary visa. It allows sportspersons or creative workers to come to the UK for up to twelve months.

The Home Office define Creative workers as persons who work in the creative industry, such as actors, dancers, musicians or film crew members.

How to qualify for the Creative and Sporting Visa

Applicants need to have a job offer in the UK as a sportsperson or creative worker. The licences UK employer need to provide the applicant with a certificate of sponsorship to apply.

The work, the applicant, does in the UK must relate to the work of the sponsor organisation.

You have to fulfil the maintenance requirement. You thus have to have enough money to support yourself in the UK. There are exemptions in cases where your employer will be supporting you. The employer has to indicate this support on the certificate of sponsorship.

Sportspersons will need to prove that they make a significant contribution to sport at the highest level in the UK to be eligible for the visa.

Creative workers need to make a unique contribution to the UK labour market. One can fulfil this requirement by being internationally renowned or being required for continuity. They also need to be paid a minimum salary as set by Equity, PACT, or BECTU.

Length of Stay

It is possible to come to the UK for a maximum of twelve months, or the time provided on your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, whichever time is the shortest.

It is also possible to extend your visa. Please speak to your Breytenbachs consultant as specific rules apply regarding the extension of your visa.

Right to Work

You will be allowed the following:

  • To study, but for some courses, you might need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate
  • Work for your sponsor as per the job described in your certificate of sponsorship.
  • Take up a second job in the same sector at the same job level for up to 20 hours per week.
  • Take up a job on the Skilled Worker Shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week.
  • To work as a sports broadcaster
  • Work as a sportsperson for your national team while it is playing in a British University and College Sports (BUCS) competition.

You will not be allowed the following:

  • To access public funds.
  • Start your own business.
  • Extend your stay beyond the maximum stay allowed under this visa, or switch to another visa.

Spouses and dependants on the Creative and Sporting Visa 

You can apply for your partner and dependants to accompany you to the UK, provided they are eligible.

Your partner and children will also need to fulfil the maintenance requirement in the UK.

Immigration Health Surcharge

You have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your application.

Indefinite Leave to Remain

As the Creative and Sporting visa is a temporary visa, it does not lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. The visa does, however, provide a valuable opportunity for sportspersons and creative workers to live and work in the UK temporarily.

How Breytenbachs can help you

If you are interested in applying for the Creative and Sporting Visa, please contact one of our consultants to guide you through the process. We have a dedicated team of consultants who will be happy to assist!