Many clients have contacted Breytenbachs to enquire about the Right to Work and the Right to Rent checks during the current Covid-19 pandemic. Some clients are currently not in possession of their original Biometric Residence Permits and worried about how this might affect them.
We are pleased to inform clients that the UK Government has introduced guidance for tenants and landlords. They also have introduced new rules for employers who need to carry out Right to Work checks during the Covid-10 pandemic.
Right to Rent checks
As of 30 March 2020, the following temporary changes have been made:
- Video calls will be in order to do the right to rent checks.
- Tenants can send scanned documents or a photo of documents for checks using email or a mobile app, rather than sending originals.
- Landlords should use the Landlord’s Checking Service if a prospective or existing tenant cannot provide any of the existing documents.
For more information on this, please follow this link to the Government website.
Right to Work checks
The UK Government has also temporarily adjusted the right to work checks during the Covid-19 pandemic. The new rules will make it easier for employers to do these checks.
- Video calls can be used to do the right to work checks.
- Workers and job applicants can send scanned documents or a photo of documents for checking. They do not need to send original documents.
- Employers can use the Employers Checking Service if an employee cannot provide any of the accepted documents.
Employers are, however, warned that they still need to check documents and that it remains an offence to employ anyone who does not have the right to work in the UK. However, employers are also requested to take extra care to ensure no-one is discriminated against as a job applicant or employee because they are unable to show you their documents.
The Home Office will inform the public in advance when these new measures will end.
Do get in touch if you wish to ensure further that your status and right to live and work in the UK remain protected throughout this pandemic. One of our highly qualified consultants will be able to assist!