Preparation for a British Citizenship application starts from the day you receive your first UK Visa.
The consultants at Breytenbachs Immigration have brainstormed some tips for persons on their route to British Citizenship. Following these tips will ensure a smooth and successful outcome!
Tips for a Smooth British Citizenship Application – Travelling
- Keep a record of all your out of country travels.
- Do not travel out of the country for more than 90 days in the period preceding the date that you plan to lodge your British Citizenship application.
- If you are not married to a UK National, you should ensure that you don’t travel out of the country in excess of 450 days in the 5 year period preceding the date you lodge your British Citizenship application.
Tips for a Smooth British Citizenship Application – Stay out of Trouble!
- If you have a criminal conviction, it could affect your application. This will depend on the date of conviction, amount of convictions and the sentence issued. Always keep the relevant documents, that comes with it and be truthful and honest about any convictions. The Home Office do checks on all applicants.
- Pay your taxes! Applicants have to ensure that their tax affairs are up to date. The obligation to pay income tax and National Insurance contributions are one of the checks for the good character requirement of a British citizenship application.
- The applicant has to provide details of all civil judgments which have resulted in a court order. You also have to provide details of civil penalties under the UK Immigration Act.
- There is no need to provide details of family law proceedings.
- You need to provide all details of bankruptcy charges. If someone is an undischarged bankrupt, it is unlikely that the application will succeed.
- All Visas issued for Entry Clearance and Further Leave to Remain come with requirements. Ensure you know what these requirements are. Make sure that you are following them up to the point of application. Continue to do so if you are extending your visa. Not adhering to your visa requirements, may affect your Indefinite Leave to Remain and British Citizenship applications.
Tips for a smooth British Citizenship Application – Keeping Records
- Keep records to prove your residence in the UK. Three to four items of correspondence per year should suffice.
- Keep all original documents at hand. This includes your birth certificate, marriage certificate, degree certificate and all other original documentation. Make sure you know where they are and have them to hand. Even if the documents have been provided to the UK Home Office before, you should have these in a safe place. If they are safe you will have them ready for your application to the UK Home Office.
Please note that at the time of publishing this, all of the above information is correct. Requirements for Immigration change and evolve regularly.
How Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants can help you
Breytenbachs understand that all the information and procedures can be overwhelming. Why not arrange a consultation with Breytenbachs and allow us to ease the burden and help you with the application? We offer a professional, friendly service that will put your mind at ease and ensure a smooth British citizenship application.