The UK ‘Family Life as a Parent’ Visa

The ‘Family Life as a Parent’ visa make provision for non-British parents to exercise their right of access to children resident in the UK.

If you have a minor child resident in the United Kingdom with a parent or guardian that is not your partner or spouse, you can apply for a settlement visa under the category named “Family Life as a Parent.”

How to qualify for the Family Life as a Parent Visa

The child must be under 18 years of age and living in the United Kingdom. The child must be a British citizen or be settled in the UK.

You also have to prove that either:

  • You are the only person who is responsible for the child, in other words, that you have the sole responsibility. OR that you are the only parent of the child.
  • Your child lives permanently with another parent or carer. That parent has to be British or is settled in the UK, not your partner, and you wish to help raise the child. In this case, you will need to prove that you have access to your child in person, either agreed with the other parent or carer or by a court order.

You also have to:

  • Prove you’re taking an active role in the child’s upbringing, and
  • Be able to prove that you are able to support and accommodate yourself without claiming public funds.

Requirements for Immigration change and evolve regularly. The ‘Family Life as a Parent’ visa has a lot of requirements to meet, and it can be very overwhelming. Not to mention emotionally charged.

If you want to proceed with an application, we recommend that you arrange a consultation with us.  Breytenbachs will ease your burden and help you navigate through all the complex requirements of this visa. We offer a professional, friendly and exemplary service that will put your mind at ease.