The Home Office has announced several changes to the UK Immigration rules that will take place in 2021. There are also some UK immigration plans in the pipeline for 2022.
Shortage Occupation List
Workers from overseas, especially those in key health and care roles, will benefit from positions added to the Shortage Occupation List (SOL). When a job occupation is on the SOL, persons in these roles will find it easier to qualify for a Skilled Worker visa.
The UK Government will include the following occupations in the UK list (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) from April 2021:
- Laboratory technicians
- Senior Care Workers
- Nursing auxiliaries and assistants
- Health services and public health managers and directors
- Residential, day and domiciliary care managers
- Modern foreign language teachers
Unfortunately, the occupation of Chef is to be removed from the Shortage Occupation List.
Graduate Visa Route opens on 1 July 2021
Overseas students in the UK will be delighted to hear about the new Graduate visa. This route will open on 1 July 2021. It will allow students to stay in the UK for two years upon completing their studies. Students with a doctorate will be allowed to stay for three years. The introduction of this route is one of the most exciting immigration rule changes!
You can read more about the Graduate visa route at this link.
Global Talent Route
The Global Talent visa will also see some immigration rule changes. It will now be possible to bypass the endorsement criteria if you have received a prestigious prize. Prestigious prizes might include prizes such as a Nobel prize, Grammy, Golden Globe etc. Persons with such a distinction will subsequently be able to apply directly for the Global Talent visa.
You can read more about the Global Talent route at this link.
British National Overseas (Hong Kong) visa
The recently introduced British National Overseas visa will also see some changes. Persons on this route will be able to apply for a change of conditions to access public funds. The change of conditions will be allowed in cases where they are destitute or at risk of destitution.
You can read more on the British National Overseas route here.
Immigration Rule Changes for 2022
In the UK Budget, the Chancellor set out some changes they want to implement in 2022. No finer details are available yet, but in short, they are planning to introduce the following changes in 2022:
- 2022 will see the introduction of an Elite Points-based visa.
- The UK Government will reform the Global Talent visa by allowing holders of international prizes and scholarships to qualify automatically.
- Review of the Innovator visa to make it easier for persons with the right skills to obtain a permit.
- The Government also hope to introduce a Global Mobility visa in the Spring of 2022. Businesses will be able to establish a presence or transfer staff to the UK by using this route.
- Modernise the immigration sponsorship system.
- Expand the Global Entrepreneur program.
Breytenbachs will publish more guidance on the planned changes to the Immigration Rules as more information and guidance becomes available.
How Breytenbachs can help you
Breytenbachs have dedicated and highly experienced consultants who deal with the different areas of UK immigration. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information You can also book a consultation to discuss your circumstances.